[Home ] [Archive]   [ فارسی ]  
:: Main :: About :: Current Issue :: Archive :: Search :: Submit :: Contact ::
:: Volume 20, Issue 4 (4-2018) ::
JBUMS 2018, 20(4): 7-11 Back to browse issues page
The Relationship between Gestational Diabetes and Polycystic Ovary Syndrome
R Nikbakht , F Moramezi , K Shojaie , M Motlagh
1. Fertility, Infertility and Perinatology Research Center, Ahvaz Jundishapur University of Medical Sciences, Ahvaz, I.R.Iran. , nikbakht-r@ajums.ac.ir
Abstract:   (1364 Views)
BACKGROUND AND OBJECTIVE: Women with polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) are at risk of insulin resistance and pregnancy complications. The aim of this study is to determine the relationship between gestational diabetes and polycystic ovary syndrome.
METHODS: This cross-sectional study was performed on 126 pregnant women with PCOS and infertility history who became pregnant after stimulation of ovulation and referred to Imam Khomeini Hospital in Ahvaz. These patients underwent screening with 75 g OGTT (Oral Glucose Tolerance Test) during the first trimester and during 24-28 weeks of gestation. They were divided into two groups of PCOS with gestational diabetes and without gestational diabetes. Variables such as age, gestational diabetes, parity and BMI were measured and the relationship between BMI and gestational diabetes was examined.
FINDINGS: The mean age of patients in the two PCOS groups with and without gestational diabetes was 26.09±2.03 and 27.07±3.03 years, respectively. Of the 126 pregnant women with PCOS, 30 (23.8%) patients were diagnosed with gestational diabetes in the first trimester of pregnancy and 11 (8.7%) patients during 24-28 weeks of gestation. Overall, 41(32.5%) patients had gestational diabetes and 85 (67.5%) patients did not have gestational diabetes. There was no significant difference in the mean BMI between the two PCOS groups with and without gestational diabetes. 
CONCLUSION: The results of the study showed that more than one third of women with PCOS experience gestational diabetes during pregnancy.
Keywords: Polycystic ovary syndrome, Gestational diabetes, Insulin resistance, Glucose intolerance
Full-Text [PDF 166 kb]   (282 Downloads)    
Type of Study: Cross Sectional | Subject: GYN
Received: 2017/08/9 | Accepted: 2018/04/24 | Published: 2018/05/13
Send email to the article author


XML   Persian Abstract   Print


Download citation:
BibTeX | RIS | EndNote | Medlars | ProCite | Reference Manager | RefWorks
Send citation to:

Nikbakht R, Moramezi F, Shojaie K, Motlagh M. The Relationship between Gestational Diabetes and Polycystic Ovary Syndrome . JBUMS. 2018; 20 (4) :7-11
URL: http://jbums.org/article-1-7043-en.html


Volume 20, Issue 4 (4-2018) Back to browse issues page
مجله علمی دانشگاه علوم پزشکی بابل Journal of Babol University of Medical Sciences

The Journal of Babol University of Medical Sciences is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
Persian site map - English site map - Created in 0.06 seconds with 32 queries by YEKTAWEB 3795